Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Santa Devotion

One of the most memorable experiences of this last holiday came from my twins, Elora and Tahlia. It was their last day of school before Christmas Break so, of course, their backpacks came home stuffed with every sticky, very carefully politically correct creation they had created in the last month in the public school system. Elora dug out her Christmas card for me first. There were random scribbles (she claimed they were "reindeer") mixed with glitter and stickers all across the folded red construction paper front. I opened it to find a skittery "I Love my Mom" surrounded by more glitter and crayon scribbles. Immediantly, my heart gave a burst of warmth and that crude card became a treasured heirloom. Oh, Motherhood became a wonderful, rewarding life choice! All that lack of sleep, baby weight gainage, doing laundry until midnight was finally worth i!. Life was sweet! I then turned towards Tahlia and her card. Same front, just with the crayon in different spots. I opened it with anticipation and then read... "I Love Santa". And reality came crashing back down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment