Wednesday, January 27, 2010

An Arrested Developement: Turtles

One day I woke up and thought , "It would be fun to get a turtle" and TADA! we now own a turtle (this is what usually happens with my acquiring of animals: random, spontaneous impulses) . But it was a struggle to get the little green thing. I found a guy on the internet who was selling baby turtles. He was a college student with a hectic schedule and it took over 30 text messages (doesn't anyone pick UP a phone anymore?) to find a time to pick up the said turtle ! He refused to use the phone other than to text so most of the messages were as follows "What time should I come by?" (me) "?" (him) , "The turtle, when is a good time?" (me) " I'da no--ltr 2morrow" (him), "Can you give me a time?" (me), -whn I'm hme" (him) , This would go on for DAYS! I finally got the baby turtle after staking out his apartment twice until someone came home. Ah.. college days: oblivious freedom. Well, it turns out this turtle has a problem. It is illegal. Any turtle, by Federal Law, cannot be sold if under 4 inches. He is about the size of a large quarter. Apparently, kids tend to swallow small reptiles until they reach 4 inches then decide it may not be a good idea to eat them anymore. And the government made the law after getting sick and tired of paying for all these kids' hospital bills to remove the dead turtles from their stomachs (And I am NOT making any of this up). So, you can't buy them unless you are a certified teacher . Where would you find kids? in a classroom with their teacher and her turtle but that's okay as long as they DON"T EAT IT. This proves once and again our government is being run by a bunch of idiots. So, if the FBI shows up at my door looking for me, my only hope may be to conceal the evidence...by swallowing it.

1 comment:

  1. Turtles are illegal to sell under 4" as pets because at that size, they are more likely to be purchased as children's pets (and be cheaper which makes them more likely to be purchased on a whim for children), and children have weaker immune systems - any reptile can carry salmonella. Child plays with turtle or cleans the cage, forgets to wash hands, fingers go in the mouth, and there's the risk of salmonella. Next time you want a pet, try www.petfinder.com Many reptile rescues and some animal control/humane organizations have turtles for adoption, especially red-eared sliders (your little green thing).
    Don't forget that the baby, if it lives, will need at least a 75 gallon aquarium in a few years - they get up to 6-10" long, and dorm rooms and most landlords don't allow large tanks. Consider checking out www.turtleforum.com to chat with other keepers.

    ReplyDelete