Friday, January 15, 2010

Got Milk?


Sometimes, good intentions don't mean good results. We got a goat back in October to try the experience of both goats and goat's milk. Good intention: self reliance. Result: Nada. Yes, we now got a goat named Smores who has been fun in a smelly, loud NAAAA (goat bleating) way. She had twins (Graham and Oreo) that have been fun too. But the milk? Forget it. When Doug and I went to the State Fair last September, we watched a lady milk a goat in 2 minutes flat. Boom! -a gallon of fresh milk and a happy goat. We thought--"we could do that!" and got the goat. She is happy but we are missing that gallon. The problem? I can't get anything to come out! I squeeze and pull and get a trickle. I buy a milking machine and get an even smaller drip. 5 minutes of work...a half a cup of milk. That is not much to do anything with. And the whole time, Smores is looking at me with a "What's your problem down there?" After a month of frustrated yanking on the poor girl, I am about to give up. But, I'll just give up the "Jolynn way"--and buy ANOTHER goat. Then, we'll get to have a cup of milk a day! I can make stuff with a cup...

No comments:

Post a Comment