Saturday, January 9, 2010

Missing: Tooth Fairy. Reward if found

Ah... the binds us parents put ourselves in just to create the illusion of magic in our kids' lives. Santa, leprachauns, the boogeyman, even snipes are stories told by us to give an extra thrill to their daily existence. Unfortunately at times, it can be difficult to maintain the illusion. Take the Tooth Fairy for example. Kyri has lost 5 or 6 teeth now, and I struggle to remember to exchange the money for the tooth in time! The last tooth falling out, Kyri came up the next morning and mournfully told me "The Tooth Fairy forgot me again". My heart sunk as I remembered what I had forgot. So, to MAINTAIN that magic, I had to come up with a quick story..."Um, kiddo, I am sure the Tooth Fairy just got backed up with all the extra teeth that come out this time a year and she will get to you as soon as possible." Kinda like those awful phone calls we adults make to customer service people where we are on hold forever while they keep telling us in a nasal voice that "your phone call is very important to is" But Kyri buys this hook, line and sinker and immediantly becomes happy again (kids are so schizophrenic). And I, over the next hour, desperately try and slip the tooth out from under her pillow without her knowing. This is difficult because now she is puppy guarding it to try and catch a glimpse of the tooth fairy (probably to beg her for more money). The whole time, I wonder "Why don't I just tell her the truth? I could just hand her the cash then and be done with it" But I don't say a word. Why? Because I am a Mom and I treasure that look of wonder that comes into her eyes Christmas Eve with Santa or when she bursts through the front door to tell me she saw real fairies hiding in the neighbors flower garden. That is what childhood is; the delights of magic seeping into the humdrum of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment