Tuesday, January 18, 2011

All this for a Plastic Medal?!

You know, parents can be crazy when it comes to their kids. I am a parent so I understand this from a unique perspective. I am in charge (under protest) of a art program at my daughter's school called Inspirations. Basically, it is a contest once a year where kids send in their "theme" photos, art, film ,etc and I find judges to pick the winners who get a little medal/trophy. Sounds simple, right? Well, it is until parent's egos get involved. Than, the cheating begins. Or the accusation of cheating. Yelling matches insue and screams of "no fair!!!" fill the air. And that is from the adults. The kids? They are delighted with the chance to enter and the party afterwards that all the kids get to go too. Ya--the trophy part is neat, but not worth screaming over..that is unless their mother convinces them it is. Why do we create competition and future hurt when there is none? My daughter had a blast painting her picture and I need to remember THAT is the most important part of the contest. The rest is not worth screaming over. And that trophy would would just be one more thing to dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment