Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Ya wanna a chick with that...(hiccup)"

Chicks, chicks everywhere. You know, I should be part of some group for addiction to buying animals. Maybe AA...Animals Anyomonous. Back in Januray, I talked Doug into agreeing to redo our chickens. Selling the old and getting new ones...better ones. I researched lots of breeds and found just what I wanted---all of the ones I looked at. So, I ordered a little here a little there and POOF! I ended up with too many. Twice this week, I have had 6 am phone calls from grumpy postal workers (never a good thing) who want me to pick a box of ear-piercing cheeping chicks RIGHT NOW. 15 minutes later, I am home, with the box open looking down at over 75 little fur balls and thinking "Oh boy, I'm in trouble". Twice. No--I do not have 150 chicks now because most I sold to others. I only have 40. That sounds much better than 150..right? (This is the tactic I tried with Doug. Didn't work). 40 is a lot. They sounded a lot less on paper. My computer room turned brooder for baby chicks smells and keeps us up at night with the noise. I am constantly checking chicks for bum problems (we won't go into detail here..just trust me), refilling feed containers and making sure Adreana is not throttling one of the little buggers. One week to go until they are all out in the shed until it's warm. Unfortunately, I have 25 more coming Monday. Yikes. Maybe I should just turn myself in to rehab or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment